Re: NSException.m: _objc_unexpected_exception undeclared

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: NSException.m: _objc_unexpected_exception undeclared
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:20:09 +0200

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 13:08, Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

This is surprising; the tests for the various options are really simple.  For example,
the test for the _objc_unexpected_exception is --

extern void (*_objc_unexpected_exception)(id);

int main (void)
{
 _objc_unexpected_exception = 0;
 return 0;
}

If this compiles fine, then really the reference to _objc_unexpected_exception in NSException.m
should compile fine too, and vice versa if NSException.m doesn't, then the test shouldn't. :-)

Agreed. I looked at the tests carefully before writing the mail, and I really don't see how they could work incorrectly.

set_unexpected_exception test should work fine, but it instead complains about undefined reference (if I remember correctly).

I guess the only explanation I can think of is that a different runtime is being used during the configure stage
and during the actual compilation stage.

Yes, I've noted that possibility in the previous email :)

Do you have multiple runtimes installed ?  How do you switch from
one to the other ?

I've got gcc-4.4, gcc-4.5 and gcc-4.6 installed from Debian's repositories. That's the only source of multiple runtimes that I can think of. I can uninstall older compilers, but it may be better to figure out what exactly is going on and prevent it from happening.

I do not switch between them in any way. I've configured gnustep-make without explicitly specifying a compiler. gcc --version says that I'm running gcc-4.6.

Do you have any ideas how I can check which runtime is being used at which stage?

Once again, I can be on XMPP later today if someone is interested in helping me debug this. I can probably rig up some sort of SSH access to the machine, as well.

--
Ivan Vučica - address@hidden