Re: Base status

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Base status
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:51:54 +0100

On 15 Aug 2011, at 12:03, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Most likely this is a timing issue, does this work on other machines?

I don't get a failure on this one, but I think there is a problem with the run
loops somewhere.  I get an intermittent failure on one of the tests.

It would be worth at some point making sure all of the tests compile without
warnings.  I spent over an hour tracking down a bug where the return value from
NSTempDirectory() was an invalid object.  It turned out that there was some
premature optimisation going on and the test was just including a small subset
of the Foundation headers, not the main Foundation.h, so it was using an
implicit declaration of NSTempDirectory() (another C89 bug - in C99 the
compiler would have just rejected it because implicit declarations are no
longer allowed) with a return type of int, so the object pointer was truncated
to 32 bits and the test crashed when the runtime tried to dereference it.

The NSURL tests actually do pass for me, but they seem to pause for several
minutes.  Is this expected?  I thought they were broken, so I was killing the
test program after a couple of minutes, but when I left the machine running
tests while I went to shower I found that they were actually passing eventually.

Results from FreeBSD 9 / x86-64, with the pure non-fragile ABI, clang, and
libobjc2 trunk:

6500 Passed tests
   6 Dashed hopes

The dashed hopes are:

> Dashed hope:     basic.m:53 ... working callStackSymbols ... if this has
> failed it is probably due to a lack of support for objective-c method names
> (local symbols) in the backtrace_symbols() function of your libc. If so, you
> might lobby your operating system provider for a fix.

This one is a bug in configure.  In config.h, I HAVE_BACKTRACE is commented
out.  HAVE_EXECINFO_H is set to 1, and HAVE_EXECINFO_H ought to imply
HAVE_BACKTRACE.

> Dashed hope:       general.m:125 ... Canonical identifier for
> 'AmericanEnglish is americanenglish
> Dashed hope:       general.m:128 ... Canonical language identifier for
> 'AmericanEnglish is americanenglish

Not sure about these ones.  Could be ICU bugs.

> Dashed hope:     test02.m:284 ... foo->bar relative symlink not expanded by
> stringByResolvingSymlinksInPath

Last time I looked at this one, the test was confusing and seemed to be testing
the wrong thing anyway.

> Dashed hope:       use.m:74 ... Correctly localizes DST time zone name
> Dashed hope:       use.m:79 ... Correctly localizes short DST time zone name

I think these are actually libICU bugs.  They're always appeared for me on
FreeBSD.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11