Re: Base status

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: Base status
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:25:38 -0500

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
The dashed hopes are:

> Dashed hope:     basic.m:53 ... working callStackSymbols ... if this has failed it is probably due to a lack of support for objective-c method names (local symbols) in the backtrace_symbols() function of your libc. If so, you might lobby your operating system provider for a fix.

This one is a bug in configure.  In config.h, I HAVE_BACKTRACE is commented out.  HAVE_EXECINFO_H is set to 1, and HAVE_EXECINFO_H ought to imply HAVE_BACKTRACE.

> Dashed hope:       general.m:125 ... Canonical identifier for 'AmericanEnglish is americanenglish
> Dashed hope:       general.m:128 ... Canonical language identifier for 'AmericanEnglish is americanenglish

Not sure about these ones.  Could be ICU bugs.

I need to get rid of this test.  It's kind of stupid and I don't know why I had it in there in the first place.

> Dashed hope:     test02.m:284 ... foo->bar relative symlink not expanded by stringByResolvingSymlinksInPath

Last time I looked at this one, the test was confusing and seemed to be testing the wrong thing anyway.

> Dashed hope:       use.m:74 ... Correctly localizes DST time zone name
> Dashed hope:       use.m:79 ... Correctly localizes short DST time zone name

I think these are actually libICU bugs.  They're always appeared for me on FreeBSD.

I think this is, in fact, a libicu bug.  I would expect it to return a valid DST time zone whenever you ask for UCAL_DST and UCAL_SHORT_DST, but instead it just returns whatever the current time is.  It works whenever DST is in effect, but fails otherwise... DST in Brazil starts the 3rd Sunday is Oct (I just checked), so the test should start passing then.  If it doesn't work then, it might be a bug in NSTimeZone.

Stef