Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r33837 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSThemeM

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r33837 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSThemeMenu.m
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:45:38 +0200

Am 13.09.2011 um 18:47 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>:

> On 13 Sep 2011, at 09:36, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>
>> On 13.09.2011 03:45, � wrote:
>>> Author: espectador
>>> Date: Tue Sep 13 03:45:13 2011
>>> New Revision: 33837

>>> Log:
>>> Improvements to menu in window
>>>
>>> Modified:
>>>    libs/gui/trunk/ChangeLog
>>>    libs/gui/trunk/Source/GSThemeMenu.m
>>
>> This patch looks like just another one in the long list of horrible changes
>> to support in-window menus. Not that this patch helps in any way, it just
>> keeps the impression that in-window menus are working up a bit more. If I
>> understand it correctly, this patch is trying to replace the Windows sub
>> menu whenever the menu gets set again on a window. What is the point of
>> this? All the other menu and sub menu entries might just change as much as
>> the Windows sub menu. Why add any special handling here? If you are really
>> interested in in-window menus, which I am not, then you should start to look
>> for real solutions, which would be the decoupling of NSMenu and NSMenuView,
>> and not just add another layer of hacks to the code.
>>
>> Why can't the people interested in in-window menus form a special interest
>> group. Discuss possible solutions and then come back with a proper proposal
>> to implement this, instead of making random changes to the gui classes?
>>
>> Sorry, I know this isn't a polite way of putting this, but the in-window
>> menu code has annoyed me a lot already and I really regret adding that
>> possibility at all into gui.
>> As I stated before, I am even willing to help to develop a concept here.
>> What I don't want to do is maintain all these hacks in gui.
>
> I'm not really interested in in-window menus either, but in the spirit of
> making helpful suggestions about supporting them ...
>
> How about having entry-to/exit-from in window menu mode leave the existing
> menu code largely unaltered, and just move the menu window off-screen so it
> can''t be seen while in-window menus are in force?
>
> The the in-window menus could be implemented simply by creating toolbars in
> each window  (these would live in the window decoration view, outside the
> window's content view).
> The toolbars would be populated by examining the items in the main menu and
> copying them.
> Submenus would be implemented as pop-up menus for the toolbar items.
> I think probably such a scheme could be almost entirely separate from the
> normal menu code, and thus be implemented fairly cleanly rather than by
> hacking existing menu views (though there would need to be some mechanism for
> passing changes of state, eg NSMenuValidation, of the 'real' main menu to the
> toolbars ... perhaps simply notifications).
> Just an thought.

What you are suggesting would result in about the same amount of in-window menu
support as we have now. The basic display works quite well, what doesn't is the
update of the menu.
I think what we should do is create a new NSMenuView and not set it as the
representation of the menu, but link it up to the menu. That way we should get
all the needed update notifications. And if we are missi g out on some, we need
to improve NSMenu to use a different way to communicate with its
representations. But as I am not that much interested in in-window menus, we
need someody else willing to test this.