Re: Problem with compile

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Problem with compile
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:26:06 +0100

On 25 Sep 2011, at 23:34, Jackie Gleason wrote:

> I retried everything without using --prefix and no dice.
>
> Jackie
>
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Jackie Gleason <address@hidden> wrote:
> I did use the prefix option but I also tried without but I can try again
> otherwise that is the order I did things.
>
> The weird thing is when I install gnumake it installs into a directory like
> the following...
>
> /usr/GNUstep/share/GNUstep/MakeFiles
>
> I am wondering if there is an issue there.

I think the normal install location for hardware independent stuff (eg the
makefiles/scripts)  is /usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles ... so if you
specified --prefix=/usr/GNUstep that path would be correct.

I expect your executables should be in /usr/GNUstep/share/bin libraries in
/usr/GNUstep/lib and your headers in /usr/GNUstep/include

In another email you said :

> the ls for the folder is...
> :/usr/GnuStep# ls
> bin  share

That looks like the libraries and headers simply aren't installed (or are
installed elsewhere).

If I do ...

cd make
./configure --prefix=/tmp/GNUstep
make install
. /tmp/GNUstep/share/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
cd ../base
./configure
make install

then look in /tmp/GNUstep, I see the lib and include subdirectories with the
base library stuff in them.

You could try looking at the config.log files for make and base to see if you
can spot anything.
If base builds and installs correctly then usually everything else is fine
because that means that make was built/installed correctly.