Re: Could GNUStep allow for iPhone porting to Android?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Could GNUStep allow for iPhone porting to Android?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:06:10 +0200

2011/9/29 David Chisnall <address@hidden>
>> SDL makes some sense.  Gregory and I discussed this a while ago.  It's on the list of 'things that would be good if someone had time to work on them'.  I think Android has an SDL implementation, so if we could use SDL for events and window management, Cairo for drawing layers and OpenGL for compositing layers, then this would give us a back end that was fairly universally portable.
>>
> That sounds awesome.

Unfortunately, sounding awesome is as far as it's got.  If you're looking for a project...

I think I may have some time over upcoming weekends. If someone gives me some example code on using Opal, I could play with getting some basic UIKit to work.

I don't think I'm familiar enough with GNUstep's AppKit to integrate this system there. Plus, it might break things on older compilers and systems. UIKit doesn't really *have* to be backward compatible, and using OpenGL for compositing in initial implementation would practically guarantee that ancient x86 systems won't be able to run apps at decent speeds.

So, can someone point me to some demo Opal program? If enough CoreGraphics is implemented, I think I could figure out how to get the RGBA pixel array out of it and start working on the really interesting parts.
--
Ivan Vučica - address@hidden