Re: Could GNUStep allow for iPhone porting to Android?

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Could GNUStep allow for iPhone porting to Android?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:36:01 +0200

Am 29.09.2011 11:06, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
> I think I may have some time over upcoming weekends. If someone gives me
> some example code on using Opal, I could play with getting some basic
> UIKit to work.
>
> I don't think I'm familiar enough with GNUstep's AppKit to integrate
> this system there. Plus, it might break things on older compilers and
> systems. UIKit doesn't really *have* to be backward compatible, and
> using OpenGL for compositing in initial implementation would practically
> guarantee that ancient x86 systems won't be able to run apps at decent
> speeds.
>
> So, can someone point me to some demo Opal program? If enough
> CoreGraphics is implemented, I think I could figure out how to get the
> RGBA pixel array out of it and start working on the really interesting
> parts.

Opal lives at svn://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/opal/trunk and there
are some examples in the ./Tests directory. Ideally, I think, you would
want to avoid copying the pixel data from the cairo surface to an OpenGL
textzre but instead use a cairo surface that can be bound to an OpenGL
texture using EGL. This has the upside that it would also, with little
tweaks, work with OpenGL/ES (i.e. on mobile platforms) and it would give
optimal performance.

Cheers,

Niels