Re: Opal, CGLayer and OpenGL in UIKit

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Opal, CGLayer and OpenGL in UIKit
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 22:51:56 +0200

On Friday, September 30, 2011, Eric Wasylishen wrote:
On another topic, Ivan, did you look in to http://chameleonproject.org/? I remember it was discussed before here. Personally, I think it would be cooler to further develop gnustep-gui and integrate opal (and maybe write a core animation implementation) such that chameleon can run on GNUstep, rather than write another uikit implementation.

Chameleon is explicitly intended to bring UIKit apps to desktops, and as such would be unsuitable for UIKit apps running in their native environment - touch devices. That said, it's an awesome project, and actually getting Chameleon to run with GNUstep would be awesome. I just don't think it's a substitute for a full UIKit reimplementation.

I'm right now looking into starting to write a Core Animation implementation. If I make any (and I mean any) progress, I'll keep the list posted, and publish my work on BitBucket. What I implement will primarily be targeted toward getting UIKit to work, and not adding CA to AppKit, since I'm not familiar with AppKit sufficiently to implement this. I suspect that for CA to work, another backend would have to be developed so that both Cairo and GL can be used for painting. However, I'm not familiar enough with the GNUstep's AppKit internals to comment on that.

I'll fire off an email to FSF, too, at the address Adam mentioned, so the work can be eventually integrated.

--
Ivan Vučica - address@hidden