Re: cairo x11 surfaces

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: cairo x11 surfaces
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:14:45 +0200

Eric Wasylishen wrote:

> I had a look at implementing it today, and it turned out to be easier than
> expected so I finished & committed it.
>
> If we run in to problems we can switch back to XGCairoXImageSurface before
> the next release, but it looks promising. In particular, I tried X forwarding
> to Apple's X11.app, which only supports 24-bit windows, and the new surface
> is significantly faster than XGCairoXImageSurface, and the alpha channel of
> images is correctly preserved (unlike XGCairoSurface).
>
> Riccardo, this should fix GNUstep on the 16-bit display configuration where
> it wasn't working for you. If you could test it some time and let me know if
> it works, that would be great.

Nice change. However it has a subtle endianness bug. When the display is on a
machine with a different endianness than the machine running the application
(e.g., PowerPC vs. x86), the colours of all icons are displayed incorrectly.
See the SystemPreferences and Color panel screenshots below.

Wolfgang

TIFF image

TIFF image