Re: cairo x11 surfaces

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: cairo x11 surfaces
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:37:09 +0200

On 14.10.2011 12:01, Philippe Roussel wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:26:10PM -0600, Eric Wasylishen wrote:
I had a look at implementing it today, and it turned out to be
easier than expected so I finished&  committed it.

If we run in to problems we can switch back to XGCairoXImageSurface
before the next release, but it looks promising. In particular, I
tried X forwarding to Apple's X11.app, which only supports 24-bit
windows, and the new surface is significantly faster than
XGCairoXImageSurface, and the alpha channel of images is correctly
preserved (unlike XGCairoSurface).

Riccardo, this should fix GNUstep on the 16-bit display
configuration where it wasn't working for you. If you could test it
some time and let me know if it works, that would be great.

I tested your modifications briefly yesterday. The gui drawing is now
really fast and responsive over ssh, comparable to gtk I would say,
but I get a lot of flickering when resizing a windows on a local
connection.

Same here. It works nice and fast, but window resizing seems to operate worse. It feels slower and has a lot of flickering.