Re: cairo x11 surfaces

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: cairo x11 surfaces
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:27:35 +0200

Hi,

by using GNUstep and some apps a bit I can confirm the "mixed" performance of the new backend, something is better, something definitively worse.

On my computer at home (FreeBSD/GeForce local X display) I notice visible flickering when watching images full-screen using LaternaMagica and "scale-to-fit" selected. When I display the next image, I clearly see the new image shown correctly, then a black flicker, then re-displayed. Doing the same on my Laptop (NetBSD/i915 local X display) is totally fine. I even exported the display to another host and it displays without flickering and reasonably fast. Very strange!

Window-Flickering while resizing is however visible everywhere. Even without solid resizing, I can clearly see that when dragging and re-sizing the window, the only redraw at the final size blanks out white and redraws. Clarly, using live-resizing and repeating this many times will flicker a lot.

Riccardo