Re: Problem with string replacement

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Problem with string replacement
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:18:19 +0100

On 28 Oct 2011, at 15:50, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Could you please explain, why the internal representation got changed
> here? I would expect that "\" is also representable in 8 bits.

The code to decide this was old ... probably based on original versions from
when we only had getCString:... without being able to specify an encoding ...
so it only checked for the possibility of using 8bit characters if the external
C string encoding is the same as the internal one.  This means the problem
wouldn't occur on machines where the two encodings are the same (eg my main
system where I use latin1 encoding).