Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:31:45 +0000

On 9 Nov 2011, at 12:56, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2011, at 05:32, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
>> As I remember it, we agreed on GCC 4.0 and later.
>
> Yup, the rationale was that 2.9x -> 3.x was where most of the platforms were
> dropped.  Excluding 3.x gives us a more modern compiler with better language
> support and doesn't lose us any platforms.  Pretty much anything that might
> reasonably be expected to run GNUstep that was supported by 3.x is also
> supported by 4.x.

Yes, we chose 4.0 as the earliest compiler to support because it gave a good
feature set to base future code on (and so we wouldn't want to change the
version we depend on again for a while), while running on as many platforms as
(by now probably rather more than) any version 3.x compiler.  At least that was
the theory for the choice, and nobody afaik has claimed/demonstrated anything
wrong with it.
Is there *any* platform where a 3.? compiler will run and a 4.? compiler won't?