Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:05:07 -0700

Hi Fred,
I agree we should do a gui release as soon as possible - if I tested correctly,
the latest gui release 0.20.0 doesn't work the the latest base, 1.23.0. I would
like to get the changes you suggest in (font rewrite and filter services), but
on the other hand, I think doing a release soon is more important - the font
rewrite could be quite a lot of work -  and we can simply remove the
ImageMagick and Ghostscript image reps for now.

As for the new cairo backend I added to back, we can either release with it or
not. The resize flickering is definitely worse, but it supports some 16-bit
configurations that were previously unsupported, and performs better over SSH.

btw, I have an experimental branch of back at
svn+ssh://address@hidden/svn/gnustep/libs/back/branches/ericwa-experimental ,
which only supports x11 and cairo with the new surface. The goal is to try to
clean up XGServerWindow/Event, and get rid of all legacy or "magic" code. So
far I deleted a lot of code from XGServerWindow, deleted XWindowBuffer, and got
rid of styleoffset support. One of the changes I made (I think in
XGServerWindow ) got rid of the resize flickering, the only problem is, I'm not
sure exactly what the change was. Anyway, it's encouraging, at least.

Cheers
Eric