X style offset [Was: Next GNUstep release?]

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: X style offset [Was: Next GNUstep release?]
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:02:57 +0100

On 09.11.2011 20:05, Eric Wasylishen wrote:
I agree we should do a gui release as soon as possible - if I tested
correctly, the latest gui release 0.20.0 doesn't work the the latest
base, 1.23.0. I would like to get the changes you suggest in (font
rewrite and filter services), but on the other hand, I think doing a
release soon is more important - the font rewrite could be quite a
lot of work -  and we can simply remove the ImageMagick and
Ghostscript image reps for now.

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

As for the new cairo backend I added to back, we can either release
with it or not. The resize flickering is definitely worse, but it
supports some 16-bit configurations that were previously unsupported,
and performs better over SSH.

Not sure about this, on my machine the new surface works reasonable fast, although resize is a bit slower then before. But it may be different for other machines. We could, as long as we still have the code for XWindowBuffer in place, make this a runtime option?

btw, I have an experimental branch of back at
svn+ssh://address@hidden/svn/gnustep/libs/back/branches/ericwa-experimental
, which only supports x11 and cairo with the new surface. The goal is
to try to clean up XGServerWindow/Event, and get rid of all legacy or
"magic" code. So far I deleted a lot of code from XGServerWindow,
deleted XWindowBuffer, and got rid of styleoffset support. One of the
changes I made (I think in XGServerWindow ) got rid of the resize
flickering, the only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what the change
was. Anyway, it's encouraging, at least.

How does the interaction between GNUstep and X work without knowing the style offset? I think we needed that to position windows correctly. I will have a look at your branch soon.