Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:48:54 +0100

Hi,

this sounds good and sensible. I don't have any blocking issues with the new backend, I will do further tests this weekend though. Only under certain operationswe see flickering and this may be the hint for the slowdowns. (try a full-screen slide-show in LaternaMagica.. sometimes it evidently flickers)

Riccardo

Eric Wasylishen wrote:
Hi Fred,
I agree we should do a gui release as soon as possible - if I tested correctly,
the latest gui release 0.20.0 doesn't work the the latest base, 1.23.0. I would
like to get the changes you suggest in (font rewrite and filter services), but
on the other hand, I think doing a release soon is more important - the font
rewrite could be quite a lot of work -  and we can simply remove the
ImageMagick and Ghostscript image reps for now.

As for the new cairo backend I added to back, we can either release with it or
not. The resize flickering is definitely worse, but it supports some 16-bit
configurations that were previously unsupported, and performs better over SSH.

btw, I have an experimental branch of back at
svn+ssh://address@hidden/svn/gnustep/libs/back/branches/ericwa-experimental , which only
supports x11 and cairo with the new surface. The goal is to try to clean up
XGServerWindow/Event, and get rid of all legacy or "magic" code. So far I
deleted a lot of code from XGServerWindow, deleted XWindowBuffer, and got rid of
styleoffset support. One of the changes I made (I think in XGServerWindow ) got rid of
the resize flickering, the only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what the change was.
Anyway, it's encouraging, at least.

Cheers
Eric