Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:10:59 +0000

On 21 Nov 2011, at 12:01, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, I wonder, how do gcc and clang (particularly pre-4.0
> gcc) interpret input files? This option specifies how output literals will be
> encoded, but how are files themselves interpreted? As UTF-8? As current
> locale? How are files interpreted on newer gcc with this option turned off
> and on?

According to the gcc documentation, input files are normally interpreted
according to the current locale (but this may be overridden by use of the
-finput-charset flag) or UTF-8 if that' can't be determined.
According to clang mailing list info I read ... it just assumes everything is
ascii ... but that was from the middle of this year ... it may have changed by
now