Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:40:26 +0000

On 7 Dec 2011, at 15:32, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> No .. the idea is to let them work in whatever environment they like (latin-2
> is a perfectly good example), but have the *binary*  they produce contain
> UTF-8 encoded strings so that the running executable will display the correct
> characters.

But that's not what you're testing.  Your source file contains some random
encoding (latin-1, I believe).  The compiler will then interpret this as being
whatever the current locale encoding is.  You are then specifying that the
output is UTF-8.  So it is relying on a conversion from
latin1-interpreted-as-something-random to UTF-8.  There is no possible way in
which this can be construed as a good idea.

The test fails for me (and, apparently, for quite a few other people) and they
get a scary warning.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11