Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:04:34 +0000

On 7 Dec 2011, at 15:54, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2011, at 15:48, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
>> I suggest you re-read the test code and comments because there's nothing
>> random about using latin1.
>
> Okay, I just looked at the test.  Apparently the LANG environment variable is
> set, so it is not doing something random (is LANG set inside GNUstep Make for
> subsequent compiles though?)
>
>> Of course there may be errors ... but you don't seem to have found any, and
>> just calling it random is not helpful.
>> If I'm not testing what I describe, please provide a report of why not and a
>> fix.
>
> I still don't understand WHY it is testing it.

To check whether the compiler supports non-ascii string literals.

> It seems that you have broken the build for lots of people (or, at least,
> made them explicitly add a flag to remove a scary warning)

I think 'lots' is a small minority ... but how about suggesting a non-scary
warning?

> to provide a compiler flag that is never needed in any of our existing code
> and should never be provided for sane code.

1. The check is NOT to provide a compiler flag, it's to check compiler
behavior.  The fact that checking behavior allows us to add some flags for
safety/clarity is an incidental benefit.
2. The reason is that we now support non-ascii string literals for
compatibility with OSX.  Of course we don't use it ... because we didn't
support it before.