Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:43:36 +0000

On 7 Dec 2011, at 16:04, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> 2. The reason is that we now support non-ascii string literals for
> compatibility with OSX.  Of course we don't use it ... because we didn't
> support it before.

We don't support string literals at all!  The compiler supports them, not us.
If we are not using them, then we don't need this configure check (and a
configure check that can safely be disabled and ignored is a pointless check
anyway - reducing the number of executable configure checks, rather than
expanding them, is also a good idea because they break cross compilation).

So I still don't understand why we have this.  As far as I can tell, removing
it has no adverse effects, enabling it means that I now need to add an extra
flag to configure and people keep appearing in the Étoilé SILC channel and
asking me if I know why GNUstep is broken.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom