Re: NSTextField didn't change color on set...Color: while editing.

From: Bluna Ratimonkey
Subject: Re: NSTextField didn't change color on set...Color: while editing.
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:16:17 +0700

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
> Personally, I don't care much whether or not this specific behavior is
> changed. In fact, why not?

I don't really care either. What I do care is only how decisions are
made for GNUstep.

> I also don't find it problematic that existing (Cocoa) behavior is kept,
> since it is trivial to update the field editor in addition to the currently
> focused text field.
>
> The only counter argument for making the change is that free software written
> for GNUstep might see strange bugs under OS X which are, in fact, not bugs at
> all, but platform-specific quirks. Current behavior also allows greater
> flexibility, too: one can change the color to red in case of validation
> failure without displaying the color change live inside the field editor.
> Someone may actually want that behavior.

If someone actually really wanted that, they can also substitute their
own custom field editor which should ignore color changes, not that I
care because I raise this issue as the cell did setup the colors for
field editor and I just want something consistency.

> I feel Bluna may also misunderstand the reasons for Cocoa compatibility: it's
> not here just to facilitate porting of proprietary software from Cocoa (which
> is, let's face it, difficult since many APIs are missing). It is here so that
> free software written for GNUstep can easily flow in the other direction as
> well.

Bluna doesn't misunderstand that, because that point doesn't
practically exist. If you want Cocoa portability, please write Cocoa
code. If you use GNUstep extensions, you must know about it.