Re: OpenGL context without AppKit

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: OpenGL context without AppKit
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:16:55 +0100

Am 28.01.2012 13:38, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
> Any chance that this is enabled in the nearby future? Without that I'll
> probably just add extra method to pass GLX context, since the little
> amount of platform-specific code in UIKit will probably initially be
> working solely with GLX (considering that, again, I can't use -back
> without -gui).

One thing we should keep in mind is that in the long run, we also want
to support embedded platforms (hell, they're probably the primary
target, aren't they?), where we only have OpenGL-ES and probably no
X-server. So maybe we should evaluate going right to EGL here, which is
a much cleaner and platfrom independent approach to the same thing. I'm
not quite sure how stable EGL support for desktop X servers is (Debian
has a libegl1-mesa package in testing, though), but on my Efika (which
uses proprietary drivers for everything), it took very little effort to
come up with a POC that shared a surface between OpenVG (used by Opal
via cairo) and OpenGL-ES such that it could be animated while Opal was
drawing to it. I'll try to dig it up if you're interested.

Cheers,

Niels