Re: OpenGL context without AppKit

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: OpenGL context without AppKit
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 19:52:36 +0100

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 22:06, Niels Grewe <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> definitely. I'm counting on supporting GLES. I'm not sure it's sensible
> to target solely GLES. Most (if not all) of CoreAnimation code will be
> shared between GL and GLES, and creation of the context is platform
> specific, anyway, isn't it?
>
> GLES support on desktops will be flaky at best, missing at worst (see
> Win32). Targeting both GL and GLES is not difficult.
>
> Am I wrong? :-)

No, you're quite right :-) The point about EGL is that it's not tied to
OpenGL-ES or any specific windowing system.

Unfortunately, upon further examination, it seems that this is not correct: EGL is solely for creating OpenGL ES contexts, not for creating OpenGL contexts. See, for example:
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7017239/what-are-the-relations-between-egl-and-opengl

In any case, I also played with OpenGL ES2 yesterday, and I believe the best way to go would be to plan the renderer around OpenGL ES2, and simply kick out those minimal shaders that we are required to have when it comes to OpenGL ES1, and perhaps OpenGL if they are unsupported.

Aside from having serious API limitations that would force proper design of the renderer, designing around ES2 would eventually allow applying various filters to the layers. (I don't know how CoreImage filters work exactly, but if they can be done on the GPU, they probably should be done on the GPU.)