Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:45:07 +0100

On Saturday, February 11, 2012 20:58 CET, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> I remember writing .desktop support ages ago. The file specification may
> >> have changed in between, most certainly it has, but it should be really
> >> easy to update our file generation to match the current standard. What
> >> is currently broken?
> > Well, I have a couple of .desktop files around on my GWorkspace Destop.
> > Double clicking
> > them, doesn't do anything. I'd expect them to start the application
> > configured in Exec=, or open the
> > URL from URL=, and use the icon defined in Icon= ...
> > but nothing happens when I click on such icon.
> >
> >> As for specifying a default browser, this should be as easy as to write
> >> a GNUstep wrapper, that is just a .plist file and to copy it to where
> >> make_services will find it. There must already be a lot of these
> >> wrappers out there, where do we collect them? Maybe we should set up
> >> some space in our source code repository to collect them?
> > They are in GWorkspace apps_wrappers subdirectory. But this approach
> > generally has a flaw:
> > For how many applications do we want to create wrappers, when/where do we
> > stop? ;)
> > We obviously cannot do so for every application. Further, the paths to the
> > application can be on
> > different places on different OS, for example /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin
> >
> > On the other hand, many applications install a .desktop file in
> > /usr/local/share/applications/
> > (at least which is the path for me on OpenBSD), and icons too. Packages
> > that do that then run
> > update-desktop-database from the desktop-file-utils package on install.
> > Afterwards it shows
> > up in the users menu, under the defined categories.
> >
> > IIRC, the Makefiles support creation of .desktop files, from the info taken
> > from the App bundle.
> >
> > AFAIK, there doesn't exist something the other way around, allowing other
> > application to create
> > an App Wrapper automatically. Even if that would exist, you'd still have to
> > get others to make use of
> > it, which I think is then the harder part.
> >
> > I'd also really like to have an applications menu in GWorkspace, built from
> > the information from those
> > .desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications, that would allow me to
> > browse all installed applications
> > and just start them from the menu ;)
> I don't know about that. I don't want an application menu in GWorkspace.
> An app-icon however could handle that, click-opening with some fast
> options including a search field for example.
> Perhaps it could somehow query NSWorkspace for registered apps, this
> woul include applications and wrappers of course.
> How to integrate this smoothly in the UI is a mystery. I'd see it
> initially as an extension or an add-on to the "Fiend". I know I don't
> like most interfaces aorund currently, but I don't know how to make it
> better, what the most "openstep" way would be to deal with the load of apps.

For the Apps menu entry in GWorkspace, I thought about the following:
In the Info-gnustep.plist, there could be a new key added for example:
AppMenu = "Network/Chat"

Then the menu entry could be added under a place like "All Applications" ->
"Network" -> "Chat" -> Application Name
Having such a menu, could be even a default maybe, so if you don't like it, you
won't get it to see ;)

> > Supporting this really standard stuff would prevent us from
> > creating/maintaining a truckload of
> > Apps Wrappers. I actually created some of those apps wrappers for about 20
> > or so applications
> > but Riccardo refused to add them to the Apps wrappers, he said, this is not
> > a kitchen sink, and
> > it should only contain really common used apps. Which I understand and is
> > fine with me.
> > But on the other side, creating and maintaining own apps wrappers, is also
> > a bit cumbersome.
> >
> Exactly. AN alternative would be to start a GAP repository where to dump
> dozens and dozens of ready-made wrappers. These still need to be
> customized by packagers due to different names (ooffice/soffice or
> firefox/iceape) and locations.

Shall I take care of this? I'd take the Apps_wrapper directory from GWorkspace
as a start.
I'd review those, since I found some broken there some time ago.
I have about 10 or 20 apps I use more or less often, that are missing in the
Apps_wrapper directory
from GWorkspace. I'd love if I could install those just from a tarball, and
don't need to take care
of them by myself ;) Whoever thinks his favourite app is missing, can send a
wrapper, and we/I could
add it to the repo.

cheers,
Sebastian