Unresolved Issues with libxml2

From: Doug Simons
Subject: Unresolved Issues with libxml2
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:28:09 -0700

Hello,

Since we've submitted the new implementation of the NSXML... classes based on
libxml2 and people are beginning to use them, I thought I would mention some
remaining unresolved issues in the hope that other people might have more
experience with the libxml2 libraries and have some ideas about how to solve
them. These are currently the top issues on my list:

1. Parsing an XML document generates text nodes in the tree for whitespace
between elements even when the XML_PARSE_NOBLANKS option is given.  Cocoa
doesn't do this.

2. Find a way to control formatting of "empty" nodes. Cocoa has the options
NSXMLNodeExpandEmptyElement and NSXMLNodeCompactEmptyElement to control whether
libxml2 implementation will only display the latter.

3. Find a way to control "pretty-print" formatting. Cocoa has an option
NSXMLNodePrettyPrint to control whether a string representation of a tree will
include indentation for enhanced readability or not. Currently our libxml2
implementation always includes indentation.

I have searched the libxml2 documentation for ways to control these issues but
haven't come up with anything that works (in particular I tried the
xmlKeepBlanksDefault() function for issue 1 without any success).

I welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Doug