Re: pbxbuild is now deprecated...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: pbxbuild is now deprecated...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:25:23 +0100

On 09.03.2012 01:05, Gregory Casamento wrote:
Guys,

The pbxbuild program is now deprecated.  In spite of the fact that it
does work in many cases, it has already been superceded in
functionality by the buildtool/xcode framework I've been writing which
builds projects in the same way the xcodebuild tool does on mac os x,
through direct interpretation of the .xcodeproj file without any need
for GNUmakefiles.

I urge people not to depend on pbxbuild any longer and for people to
look at the new buildtool/xcode framework which I will be releasing in
the next few weeks.

Thanks, GC

Greg,

could you please explain this step? Together with your strange commit message for pbxbuild this rather sounds like: "I broke your toy, you now have to play with mine". And this isn't that attitude I like to see in a free software project I am contributing to.

I am using pbxbuild on a weekly basis and the current code, before your latest change, worked rather well for me. It may well be that the new build tool is superior to pbxbuild, but why did you have to make a revert on pbxbuild to prove this?

Last summer you made a similar revert and than rolled back this revert and I had to clean up after that. I wont do this again now. Either the new build tool works for me, or I will have to write a GNUmakefile manually for each Mac project I port over to GNUstep. What I don't intend to do is work on the new build tool as our different approaches to participative software development don't seem to fit.