Re: xml error building on older NetBSD box

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: xml error building on older NetBSD box
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:04:48 +0100

On 20.03.2012 21:47, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

Making all for tool autogsdoc...
gcc -rdynamic -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -pthread -fgnu-runtime -o obj/autogsdoc \
./obj/autogsdoc.obj/autogsdoc.m.o ./obj/autogsdoc.obj/AGSParser.m.o
./obj/autogsdoc.obj/AGSOutput.m.o ./obj/autogsdoc.obj/AGSIndex.m.o
./obj/autogsdoc.obj/AGSHtml.m.o \
-L../Source/./obj -L/home/multix/GNUstep/Library/Libraries
-L/Local/Library/Libraries -L/System/Library/Libraries
-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -L/System/Library/Libraries
-L/Local/Library/Libraries -L/Local/Library/Libraries -lgnustep-base
-lpthread -lobjc -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -lxml2 -lz -lm
-lcallback -lavcall -lrt -lpthread -lz -lm
../Source/./obj/libgnustep-base.so: undefined reference to
`xmlSaveToBuffer'
../Source/./obj/libgnustep-base.so: undefined reference to
`xmlDOMWrapAdoptNode'

I wonder if this is because the installed xml library (2.7.8) is too old
or if there is some path / linker flag option. But why do I get an error
while linking and not during compilation?

The xml manual does not seem to specify with which version a certain
function became available
http://xmlsoft.org/html/libxml-xmlsave.html

I'm going to try to compile with --disable-xml

libxml2 2.7.8 is the most current version of this library. I think in your specific case the problem is that the version of the library you have installed doesn't fit the one you have the development tools for. The annoying thing here is that not only the version number of the library is important, there are also features that could be left out. If who ever compiled that library disabled LIBXML_OUTPUT_ENABLED then you wont have all these features in your library, but the header files could still export this functions when xmlversion.h was not generated for this specific setup.

The only thing we can do here is replace the compile time check for the library version with a configure check and I really hate to do this. Better complain with your package provider about the mismatch.