Re: Libxml2 versions and namespaces

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Libxml2 versions and namespaces
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:37:56 +0100

On 22.03.2012 02:34, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:
I just commit some changes to the NSXML* classes which try to do more
compile time checking for available functions. The version numbers I
use there are based on this file: http://xmlsoft.org/symbols.xml
I think we need to agree on a minimal version of libxml2 that we want
to support. I would like to suggest 2.7.8, but we could also agree on
2.4.30.

well, 2.7.8 is latest, if we can support something older, I won't
complain, as usually. Why do you think of "2.4.30" ? Why that version? I
generally had some trouble looking at the documentation to check what
was available when

I have tested on my older netbsd box, 2.6.29 and we don't compile

I have tested on my mingw box where I had 2.7.1 and we had errors too.
So apparently currently we are compatible only with 2.7.8.

Also, when configuring with --disable-xml, we are not able to build
anymore. SO some cleanup is needed there too.

It would be great if you could report back the remaining issues. (A list of the compiler warnings and errors is enough) The aim here is to get the code compile on any libxml2 above the version we decide on, but to only provide the full functionality (as checked by our test code) for the most current one.

The version numbers I gave were just examples. 2.4.30 is the oldest version listed in the document I linked to. This already has the basic functions and data structures, but lacks almost all higher level functionality. I think 2.6.20 would be a better fit for us. You should check that document to find out, what became available at which release.

As for the --disable-xml case, Richard made a few changes yesterday that should help here. Did you update base from SVN before sending your mail?

I am about to commit another bunch of namespace changes and tried to be even more careful with the functions I use, but it really is hard to be sure without an old version of libxml2 to test with. Here feedback is more than welcome.