GNUstep, sound server and multimedia situation

From: Kristian Poul Herkild
Subject: GNUstep, sound server and multimedia situation
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:37:25 +0200

Hi there.

I've been silently snooping around here for XYZ years, just in case... ;)

And that case is now. I'm in the process of creating a vanilla GNU/Linux
system (largely LFS+BLFS and some C(B)LFS and a bit gentoo and redhat).
It is either going to be a pure vanilla linux or a some sort of
recreation of LinuxSTEP - I haven't decided yet. X-server is installed,
but Windowmaker and GNUstep-packages (base, gui, backends, apps, etc.)
are not.

Anyway - what I need to know is what the situation is in regard to
multimedia and GNUstep. Is portaudio still used as a sound server, and
does GNUstep have a multimedia plugin-architecture a la gstreamer or
translators (as in BeOS+Haiku/Syllable+Pyro-OS)? Or is GNUstep simply
without a multimedia framework atm. ?

Kind regards,

Kristian Poul Herkild