Re: Couple of problems with current SVN

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Couple of problems with current SVN
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 22:14:32 -0400

Hey German,
I can reproduce the problem where directories with accented characters show up
incorrectly in the open/save panels. I created a directory with an accented "é"
using gnome, and it shows up in the gnustep open panel as "Å©".

I debugged this, and basically it's a configuration issue: the filenames
returned by the posix readdir() function are being interpreted using +[NSString
defaultCStringEncoding] , which is Latin-1 by default unless the
GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING  environment var is set.

Try running:
"export GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSUTF8StringEncoding"
before Ink, and see if it fixes the problem - it did for me.

Maybe we should change +[NSString defaultCStringEncoding] to
NSUTF8StringEncoding?

Cheers,
Eric