Re: Couple of problems with current SVN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Couple of problems with current SVN
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 07:24:04 +0100

On 3 Jun 2012, at 03:14, Eric Wasylishen wrote:

> Hey German,
> I can reproduce the problem where directories with accented characters show
> up incorrectly in the open/save panels. I created a directory with an
> accented "é" using gnome, and it shows up in the gnustep open panel as "Å©".
>
> I debugged this, and basically it's a configuration issue: the filenames
> returned by the posix readdir() function are being interpreted using
> +[NSString defaultCStringEncoding] , which is Latin-1 by default unless the
> GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING  environment var is set.
>
> Try running:
> "export GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSUTF8StringEncoding"
> before Ink, and see if it fixes the problem - it did for me.
>
> Maybe we should change +[NSString defaultCStringEncoding] to
> NSUTF8StringEncoding?
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

I think the use of Latin1 as a default dates back to NeXTstep compatibility and
we don't really need to bother about that now ... but shifting to UTF8 as a
default mnight break new things (though I imagine many more systems use UTF8
than Latin1 nowadays).

Probably we should continue to use GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING to specifically
control thngs, but shift to using the locale() system function to tell us what
the default encoding is, rather than assuming Latin1 when the environment
variable is not defined.