Re: GUI updating while application is working

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GUI updating while application is working
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:20:54 +0200

Hi,

On 07/23/12 15:01, Ivan Vučica wrote:
I don't have code here, but under cocoa it should be:
[[NSRunLoop mainLoop] runUntilDate:[NSDate distantPast]];

I made that:
 [[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop] runUntilDate:[NSDate distantPast]];

and that was indeed what I was looking for. I was using the "perform selector" with 0.0 sec delay previously (seen also in mac dev. forums a long time ago), but somehow this tricks works better and works on gnustep too. Possibly that is why the application performed a little bit better on Cocoa.

As you guessed my intervals are too long to perform any decent user interaction, but they do help showing the UI well drawn. I tried clicking on menus or other windows and with some luck i get the event processed. THus either I find defined places where to process events without harm in smaller intervals or I will resort to proper threading. But it is already a good improvement!

Riccardo