Re: GNUStep, Objective-C 2.0 and clang

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUStep, Objective-C 2.0 and clang
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:58:51 +0200

You have not mentioned which operating system you use. Everything I'm about to say has been tried primarily under Ubuntu (and a few years ago under Debian). Other UNIX-based systems probably also fit, but I have absolutely no idea about Windows.

Building everything from source code is the safest method, as far as I'm concerned. I build everything: the compiler, the runtime, and various GNUstep libraries. I use latest development repositories for each.

Take a look at the script and the notes here:
  https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-ubuntu
Just as the repository's name implies, this script is intended for use with Ubuntu (but I see no reason why the compiling part would fail under other UNIX systems. Debian is also probably going to play nicely). More specifically, this script has been tested with Ubuntu 12.04.

Take vanilla Ubuntu 12.04, run the script, and in an hour or so, you should have a compiler (clang), a runtime (libobjc2) and the libraries (GNUstep) up and running.

You may want to read the script and decide which lines you want to put on the bottom of your ~/.bash_profile. For example, I have these ones there:

export PATH=$PATH:$PWD/Release+Asserts/bin: # llvm/Debug/bin contains the clang binary
export CC=clang # Make Clang the C/ObjC compiler rather than GCC

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Additionally, you may want to save time if you don't want to compile clang. I personally do. If you don't, just "apt-get install clang", and feel free to edit the script removing the portions that deal with llvm and clang.

Good luck!