Re: Manual proxy configuration, how should it be implemented?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Manual proxy configuration, how should it be implemented?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:58:59 +0100

On 24 Sep 2012, at 13:04, Ibadinov Marat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a part of my primary job, I'm engaged in writing server-side apps on top
> of GNUstep.
> First experience of using it on server's side was a tiny field-specific OCR
> and it  was a success
> in terms of both development speed and performance. So we decided to try to
> use GNUstep for
> ongoing developments. Now I have a need to rewrite another module (it's code
> is obsolete for more than a year
> and it needs to be rewritten anyway) using objc.
> It places emphasis on networking. And there is requirement to manually select
> proxy (HTTP proxy) settings
> depending on a domain name it will try to access. I really can't opt out of
> this.
> So, here is my question:
>       Is it more viable to implement necessary functionality in Foundation,
> or to implement CFHTTPMessage
>       (Apple recommends using it for this task) which is missing from
> “corebase”?

I had a quick look at the CFHTTPMessage API ... and I can't see what it offers
for your work (indeed, at first glance it doesn't seem to offer anything that's
not already available in the ObjC APIs).

There is some support for socks based proxying in gnustep-base already, so
perhaps using/improving that would be the way to go ... I can't really tell
without knowing exactly what you want to do.