Re: On linux too (was Re: Base compilation broken on NetBSD)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: On linux too (was Re: Base compilation broken on NetBSD)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 10:12:35 +0000

On 2 Nov 2012, at 10:07, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> My problem is that this has historically been in the code for a very long
> time and we don't know how many things it applies to (strerror is commented
> because that's the one I've been bitten by recently).
>
> I'd also prefer to have an approach where we try to stick to a well defined a
> standard and then conditionally bracket bits of code where we are using
> non-standard features, rather than the other way round.  I guess that's a
> matter of taste.

One of the things I keep failing to find time to do is look through the
configure script and find the bits that are obsolete.  For example,
VSPRINTF_RETURNS_LENGTH is checked, but nothing in the GNUstep code uses the
result.  We have a check to use setpgrp() instead of the POSIX setpgid(), and
since setpgid() has been supported pretty much everywhere for at least a decade
(this was a 4BSD vs SysV incompatibility, so in most cases almost 20 years) we
could just delete the setpgrp() path and remove the check.  These were the two
that caused problems for me when cross-compiling, but there are probably other
equally irrelevant ones.

David

-- Sent from my brain