Re: Install location for libobjc2

From: Tom Davie
Subject: Re: Install location for libobjc2
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 16:11:32 +0000

On 2 Nov 2012, at 15:04, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2012, at 14:54, Tom Davie wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm slightly confused just right now.  It's been a while since I installed
>> libobjc2, and I'm having trouble installing the svn trunk version.
>>
>> It appears that libojbc2 is being installed into /usr/local/lib, rather than
>> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries as I'd expect.  This is causing
>> configuring GNUstep-base to die saying my obj-c compiler does not work (as
>> it can't find the runtime).
>>
>> The only way I can see this happening is if Makefile is being used rather
>> than GNUmakefile.  In what circumstances will this happen?  How would I go
>> about restoring correct behaviour?
>
> Using code from svn then all you shuld need to do is:
>
> 1. install gnustep-make ... so you have a gnustep environment to install
> libobjc2 into.
> 2. build/install libobjc2 using gnu-make ... which should use the GNUmakefile
> (perhaps you are an a system which uses another 'make' and call gnu-make
> 'gmake')
>
> The GNUmakefile should install things into the right place.

Hiya Richard,

Trying to convince libobjc2 to live in the GNUstep hierarchy is not working
well.  make on my system is GNU make 3.81 and gnustep-make is installed,
unfortunately though, the library is still being stuck in /usr/local/lib.

Meanwhile David Chisnall tells me off-list that /usr/local/lib is in fact the
correct location for libobjc2 to live.  Unfortunately, gnustep-base's configure
script does not seem to be able to pick up libojbc2 installed here.  It fails
with this in the config log:
configure:13192: clang -o conftest -g -O2
-I/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers
-I/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers  -fgnu-runtime -x objective-c
-L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries -L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries
-L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries conftest.c -lrt -ldl  -lpthread
-rdynamic -pthread -shared-libgcc -fexceptions -fobjc-nonfragile-abi
-fgnu-runtime -L/home/tatd2/GNUstep/Library/Libraries
-L/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
-lobjc -lm     >&5
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-shared-libgcc'
In file included from conftest.c:99:
In file included from ././config/config.objc.m:2:
././config/objc-common.g:53:8: warning: direct access to objective-c's isa is
deprecated in favor of object_setClass() and object_getClass()
[-Wdeprecated-objc-isa-usage]
 obj->isa = self;
      ^
././config/objc-common.g:46:5: note: ivar is declared here
id isa;
   ^
1 warning generated.
/tmp/conftest-Pwj6Qb.o: In function `main':
/home/tatd2/gnustep-base/././config/config.objc.m:21: undefined reference to
`objc_msg_lookup_sender'

Any Help with this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Tom Davie