Re: Install location for libobjc2

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Install location for libobjc2
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:48:33 +0100

On Friday, November 2, 2012 18:13 CET, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2012, at 16:37, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > here is how I do it on OpenBSD:
> >
> > 1. install libobjc2 using the Makefile, not the GNUmakefile, which will end
> > up in /usr/local
> > 2. install gnustep-make, there I use LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
> > CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include/' in the environment when running configure
> > 3. install gnustep-base and others. at that time, gnustep-make should have
> > picked up the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS from its installation time
> >    and should use them.
>
> But that's not how to install libobjc2 into a GNUstep system ... it's how to
> force GNUstep to use a special location to find the library ... OK if you
> want to put GNUstep on a system which already has libobjc2 installed, but
> lousy if you want to put libobjc2 where you can trivially distribute it as
> part of GNUstep package.

but the other way I'd have to:
install gnustep-make (which would pick up the system libobjc)
then install libobjc2 with the GNUMakefile
then reconfigure gnustep-make (in order to pick up the libobjc2 runtime)
then go on with others

For me packaging, the reconfigure gnustep-make step always caused me headaches.
I never got it right to and sane in a way to not
unbelieavably overcomplicate the whole process of that packaging.

My way of doing it may be lousy, but is easy, and just works for me ;)

Sebastian