Re: Install location for libobjc2

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Install location for libobjc2
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 20:44:59 +0000

On 2 Nov 2012, at 17:48, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

> On Friday, November 2, 2012 18:13 CET, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 2 Nov 2012, at 16:37, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
>>> here is how I do it on OpenBSD:
>>>
>>> 1. install libobjc2 using the Makefile, not the GNUmakefile, which will end
>>> up in /usr/local
>>> 2. install gnustep-make, there I use LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'
>>> CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include/' in the environment when running configure
>>> 3. install gnustep-base and others. at that time, gnustep-make should have
>>> picked up the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS from its installation time
>>>   and should use them.
>>
>> But that's not how to install libobjc2 into a GNUstep system ... it's how to
>> force GNUstep to use a special location to find the library ... OK if you
>> want to put GNUstep on a system which already has libobjc2 installed, but
>> lousy if you want to put libobjc2 where you can trivially distribute it as
>> part of GNUstep package.
>
> but the other way I'd have to:
> install gnustep-make (which would pick up the system libobjc)
> then install libobjc2 with the GNUMakefile
> then reconfigure gnustep-make (in order to pick up the libobjc2 runtime)
> then go on with others

I understand that sme people have trouble with doing that extra 'configure;
make install' command.

> For me packaging, the reconfigure gnustep-make step always caused me
> headaches. I never got it right to and sane in a way to not
> unbelieavably overcomplicate the whole process of that packaging.
>
> My way of doing it may be lousy, but is easy, and just works for me ;)

Fine ... there's no reason not to use a non-standard way of doing things if it
does what you need.
The original question though, was how to install libobjc2 into the GNUstep
filesystem... and it's reasonable to want to do that since, with everything in
the GNUstep filesystem you can create packages as simple tar archives (eg 'tar
-cf package.tar GNUstep') in one trivial command, without having to worry about
separate libraries you need to package.

Indeed, I often have to provide software packages for systems where I'm not
allowed root access ... in those cases it's actually much quicker and easier to
build/install non-GNUstep software that my code depends on into the GNUstep
filesystem rather than the normal location in the system ... so I can
distribute those dependencies along with my GNUstep based code in a single
simple archive ... avoiding the need to ask sysadmins to install the stuff for
me.