Re: Heads up: CMake build system for libobjc

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Heads up: CMake build system for libobjc
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:22:06 +0100

13. 12. 2012., u 15:00, David Chisnall <address@hidden> je napisao:

> On 13 Dec 2012, at 13:54, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
>> It has the rather obvious problem that it doesn't run because there's no
>> cmake on any of the systems I use.
>> I guess that would be an issue for the vast majority of our users.
>
> Given that CMake is the standard build system for a number of large and
> popular projects, including  LLVM and KDE, and is available for every
> platform that we support (and a number that we don't), I don't think that
> this is exactly a serious limitation.  I don't know of any system except
> Windows and OS X that don't have it in their standard package repositories,
> and these systems do have it as an easy-to-install download.

If my vote counts (and it doesn't have to, and this isn't a democracy, et
cetera, et cetera), I'd say "Makefiles are still the most portable thing
around". At least a basic Makefile that doesn't require cmake would be awesome.

Having to installing more and more and even more packages as requirements when
bootstrapping GNUstep is slightly painful.
--
Ivan Vučica
address@hidden - http://ivan.vucica.net/