Re: "Modern" server socket programming?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: "Modern" server socket programming?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 17:47:43 +0100

Hi,

ARC is still kind of a foreign concept to me. I've had some conversations with David about it, but I don't remember if I ever implemented some of his recommendations.

to me that's understandable. I've never seen the point in ARC, too - until we switched a rather huge codebase to ARC. The increase in readability and clarity was extremely significant. Also, robustness increased dramatically. I was probably the biggest opponent to the whole conversion, as I considered it a waste of time and resources, but I'm totally impressed by the final result. It's now very clear to me why Apple is pushing in that direction and I really appreciate what David and others have done so far to bring it to GNUstep.

As for the uuid thing, it might be a problem with the toll-free bridge mechanism. I've also started doing some work in CFString that might've broken parts of it. I'm still working on it, just not as much as I should.

You might be right in your assumption that it's somehow CF-related. I don't see any problematic behaviour with NSStrings and the code in GSAvahiNetService looks good to me.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Müller  .  .  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/