64bit GNUstep Was: Problem with Cenon

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: 64bit GNUstep Was: Problem with Cenon
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:10:59 +0100

On 26.01.2013 11:10, David Chisnall wrote:
I'm having problems building AppKit code on 64-bit systems at the
moment because we haven't done the int -> NSInteger switch in a load
of places where it's required.  Do we have a plan for a clean
transition for this, or do we just have a break-the-ABI release?

I can commit some changes that to the translation, but everything on
64-bit platforms will need recompiling afterwards.

I am not sure I understand this mail correctly. Are you revering to places in GNUstep gui where we aren't properly using NSInteger and NSUInteger? In this case we should fix the code. If this once more breaks the ABI it is a shame, but we have to do it anyway to get the code consistent.

If you are revering to application or library code outside of core things get more complicated. Apple allows the code to use 32bit versions of the core bundles even on 64bit system. I don't know how they do it exactly, most likely they have two versions of the library and link in the correct one depending on the settings. For the headers they use a define, I think it is LP64 to decide how NSInteger gets defined. GNUstep base does so unconditionally, depending on some compiler settings (or rather depending on the installed headers, that on my machine use __x86_64__ to decide the word size and the definition of intptr_t depends on that)

We could try to make this more flexible in GNUstep base. Is this what you are suggesting?