Re: 64bit GNUstep Was: Problem with Cenon

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: 64bit GNUstep Was: Problem with Cenon
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:35:12 +0100

On 26. 1. 2013., at 14:10, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Apple allows the code to use 32bit versions of the core bundles even on
> 64bit system. I don't know how they do it exactly, most likely they have two
> versions of the library and link in the correct one depending on the
> settings.

Just a bit of info here.

Same tech that was used during PowerPC transition: universal binaries. An
executable is checked to see if it has 32bit, 64bit or 32+64bit code. Correct
version is picked; that is, 64bit code if it exists and without further
configuration. After that, any shared library that dyld loads will load
appropriate version of code from the universal binary (or the single arch
binary), or fail if adequate version is not found in the shared library.

With Xcode 3.2.6, which I believe was the last build to ship PPC support, one
could ship three-arch executables, and to my knowledge Snow Leopard included
three-arch binaries in all frameworks: one for Rosetta, one for 32-bit and one
for 64-bit. Fun!