Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:24:44 +0100

On 19.02.2013 01:53, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:09:22 +0100, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

I am no expert here, but the behaviour in base matches the
documentation. If this does not result in the desired effect, we will
have to use a different way. And maybe the solution is as simple as
adding that timer for the modal panel mode as well.

I just added the line

   [[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop] addTimer: timer forMode:
NSModalPanelRunLoopMode];

to GSTooltips.m (plus the required includes) and now tooltips work
even in modal panels. There are a lot more places in gui where we use
a timer and most of them would benefit from a similar change. The
question is, are there any downsides to this change and which places
should be adopted?
And most important: Should we really change this during the code
freeze that is currently in place on gui and back?

That is good news. Wolfgang mentioned also the cursor not blinking, do
you remember?

Yes, that was one of the additional places I was thinking of.

Abut the code freeze, I don't know: the change looks rather harmless,
you just add another timer. I do not know about adverse effects it could
have. When do you remove it?
It it looks harmless as it is, I'd put it in.

We don't add another timer here. The code just uses the same timer for a different runloop mode. This should allow the existing invalidation code to handle the timer correctly.

From your comment I understand that you don't know too much details about our timer implementation. Let me state one point why I am reluctant to commit this change without comments from Richard or anybody else who understands that implementation: Some time ago we had a long standing bug in base that resulted in timers that were added for two modes not being handled correctly. There is a comment in the code now of this being fixed. Even though the change in gui looks completely harmless, it could result trigger a bug somewhere else.

Fred

PS: You computer seems to use the wrong date.