Re: person interested in GNUstep development

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: person interested in GNUstep development
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:56:50 +0800

Dear Johan:

Hello.

1) Objective-C 2.0 is creation of Apple Inc. and is incorporated into OS X 10.5
(partially) / 10.7 (completely) and iOS 4.3 (partially) / 5.0 (completely). For
GNUstep, the latest svn build of GNUstep can support most of the Objective-C
2.0 features if using clang as the compiler.

Due to historical reasons that is related to versions and changes of GPL
license and Apple Inc, GCC never get full Objective-C 2.0 support. Apple is now
participating in another compiler project, clang, which is now the leading
compiler for Objective-C and implemented full Objective-C features.

About the libraries, GNUstep and Apple's Cocoa (sans Core Data) is
code-compatible (GNUstep seemed like a superset of Foundation+AppKit) and can
support all new Objective-C features if compiling with clang.

2) GBA seemed too old for this. You could try avoid using new features and
stick to NeXTSTEP-era stuff (i.e. limit to iPhone OS 1.x-era feature set of
Objective-C) to avoid issues. If possible, you should use a newer device, like
a modern iPhone, or a development board for newer ARM processors (ARM Cortex-A9
or A15). Check out PandaBoard for this, as it is known good to run the latest
ARM build of everything on Ubuntu.

3) Development of Objective-C is pretty much headed by Apple. If you can get
hired into Apple's development department, you may have a say. Or you can try
join the Étoilé team which is also focusing on that.

Sincerely.
Max

在 2013-2-22,下午6:33,bubble rogue <address@hidden> 写道: