Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:41:09 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:

> On 24.02.2013 00:05, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>>
>> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>>>
>>> As I wrote the idea would be to reuse the same timer for both run loop
>>> modes. This is definitely better than having two separate timers. The
>>> specific problem I talk about was fixed in base a long time ago. I
>>> just used that as an example that harmless changes in gui might lead
>>> to unexpected issues.
>>> If we do any change in that area, it should be the one I proposed. The
>>> question is, should we do so before the release?
>> With the current code using WindowMaker I can now see the tooltips
>> sometimes. They appear behind the save-panel window. I can see,
>> depending on the mouse position, totally disappear or partially appear
>> behind it. Difficult to take a screenshot but I hope you understand and
>> trust me :)
>
> That is quite possible, when I first heard that tooltips aren't working for
> panel, I looked for that problem. But for me the tooltips are now positioned
> on top of the panels, so this is a window manager specific issue and you will
> have to find out for yourself which window properties will be needed to
> display them correctly.

The problem is fairly obvious if you look at the source: Tool tips are drawn at
NSStatusWindowLevel, which is well below NSModalPanelWindowLevel. I guess the
tool tips would need to be drawn (at least) at NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel.
Actually, I would think it should be even higher than that (allowing tool tips
to be shown for pop up menu items) but there is no well defined window level
above NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel (except for NSScreenSaverWindowLevel and that of
course looks inappropriate).

Wolfgang