Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:52:00 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:

>> The problem is fairly obvious if you look at the source: Tool tips are drawn
>> at NSStatusWindowLevel, which is well below NSModalPanelWindowLevel. I guess
>> the tool tips would need to be drawn (at least) at NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel.
>> Actually, I would think it should be even higher than that (allowing tool
>> tips to be shown for pop up menu items) but there is no well defined window
>> level above NSPopUpMenuWindowLevel (except for NSScreenSaverWindowLevel and
>> that of course looks inappropriate).
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Your argument is correct, but it does not reflect the implementation we have
> in XGServerWindow.m. But doing things the way you suggest in both places
> would be better.

The backend implementation simply passes on the window level to the window
manager if that is WindowMaker (which Riccardo is using), so I'm inclined to
think that my comment _does_ reflect the implementation in XGServerWindow.m.
Another point is that XGServerWindow also attempts to map window levels onto
NET-WM window types for other window managers, which may or may not work well
(for instance, the mapping is more or less broken when using Apple's quartz-wm).

Wolfgang