Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:30:01 +0100

Hi,

On 03/11/13 14:55, Luboš Doležel wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:17:43 -0500, Stefan Bidi wrote:
Having the compiler output a compatible structure would be nice, but
I'm not sure how realistic it is to depend on it.  Until recently,
GNUstep still support GCC 2.95 and just recently move to minimum GCC
4.0.  If this charge were to be done, we'd be having to support two
completely incompatible structures (they aren't backward compatible
because of the CFTypeID variable in between the isa and string
pointer) for at least another 6 years.

I would keep the NSConstantString class in place (there isn't really much to "maintain" anyway, it's a simple class), but drop the speed hacks so that these don't clutter the code anymore. That way we would have compatibility and cleanliness at the same time. We wouldn't have the performance, but with GCC you don't even get all of the ObjC features anyway. It's a bad decision to use GCC for ObjC...

as a GCC user, I may of course dissent.

Riccardo