Re: Archiving tests...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Archiving tests...
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:20:38 +0100

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
On 22.03.2013 17:32, Gregory Casamento wrote:
I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea to have a test which looks at
all classes which implement NSCoding and archives and unarchives them to
check that the result is what is expected.

Also, it might be a good idea to have a set of data which was archived on a 32 bit machine and on a 64 bit machine etc and check to see that machines
of all architectures and word sizes can read archives by all other
platforms.

Seems like a very good idea to me. Riccardo suggested something similar last week when we discovered the encoding differences for enumerators.

For gui the main problem is that there aren't even tests for most of the classes :-(
I was thinking also something along this: open a "reference" gorm file. Save and reload it. The result won't be byte-by-byte comparable (e.g. dictionaries) but it would test quite a bit. The Gorm file shouild have several elements. DO you think it is feasible? I nthe time, several gorm files could be added, with different versions and this would check aslo retro-compatibility.
Exceptions need to be catched too, to cactch the type mismatches I got.

Riccardo