Re: Archiving tests...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Archiving tests...
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:58:47 -0400

Richard,

I think putting tests in GUI for archiving is important since the point is not so much to test the archiver itself but that the GUI classes are, indeed, archiving themselves in a way which is universal for all platforms.

GUI classes not saving themselves correctly was the issue which prompted doing another release since there were bugs in some GUI classes where a type of the wrong size was being encoded.  Having these tests would help to eliminate the possibility of this happening.

...Slightly off topic...

This discussion also makes me think about what other tests we can do in GUI to prevent regressions.

I've been wondering if it might not be possible to build a testing framework based on NSEvent so that GUI tests could be scripted instead of manually performed, but that's just a thought at the moment.

GC

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22 Mar 2013, at 17:07, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> I'm thinking that some tests of GUI classes might be in order as well.   I've been thinking lately about how best to test GUI.
>

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 22 Mar 2013, at 16:32, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea to have a test which looks at all classes which implement NSCoding and archives and unarchives them to check that the result is what is expected.
>
> The test framework has test_NSCoding() which does this (and test_keyed_NSCoding() for classes which support keyed coding).
>
> > Also, it might be a good idea to have a set of data which was archived on a 32 bit machine and on a 64 bit machine etc and check to see that machines of all architectures and word sizes can read archives by all other platforms.
>
> The tests in the coding subdirectory do at least some of that.  IIRC they test 32bit archives ... adding 64bit archives would be nice.

While the sets of archived data in the coding dsubdirectory of the base testsuite are obviously base-specific, the test_NSCoding() and test_keyed_NSCoding() functions are general purpose, applying to GUI (or in fact any) classes.

--
Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)