Re: Sum up of current failures

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Sum up of current failures
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:11:12 +0000

On 22 Mar 2013, at 17:03, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> On 22 Mar 2013, at 13:24, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>>> How can I run a specific test, so that I can test NSCalendar and NSXMLNode ?
>> gnustep-tests --help
>>
>> will tell you how to run tests, along with various useful options (I
>> particularly like --debug ... runs gdb with breakpoints set immediately
>> before failed tests)
>>
> I checked the XML tests on OpenBSD and they pass. Thus strangely they only
> fail on NetBSD.
>
> Still, the hangs and the failures should be looked into before a release?
> What information can I give you for debugging, except ther esults which
> aren't very explicative?

It's difficult with system specific failures ... really you need to do the
debugging on your system.

That is ..  you need to run the tests with the --debug option, and then step
through the code in the debugger to see what's actually going wrong.

That should be enough to find most things, but of course, there's also the
possibility that an underlying problem actually occurred before the testcase
itsself ... in which case you need to look at the objects involved at the start
of the test to see if they are in some unexpected state.